Concept art from official art book (Spicy Horse)
Another reason to make this was to get a costume to pose together with my Vorpal blade (commissioned from Stickweed).
The base for the bodice is sewn with a Burda pattern I had laying around, using a cotton fabric with iron on interfacing and a zipper in the back. Zipper was supposed to be invisible, but something is wrong with my invisible zipper foot, oh well.
Finding a peach colored fabric with turquoise stripes proved to be a challenge. So my plan would be to sew each stripe on by hand. I have seen other people do this, and from looking at other peoples work I made a few conclusions.
- From the ref photo it looks like there's some shine to the stripes meaning satin ribbon would be perfect according to this. Problem here is that every tiny tiny wrinkle will be very visible when sewn to the bodice, and the satin ribbon will not reflect light well in photos.
- I have seen sewing senpai J.Hart Design use french gimp braid for the stripes, this will get a more luxurious feel and more texture. Problem I found was that finding the right color was not so easy from Norway, and the stripes ended up being very thin.
Here's my cotton bias tape, satin ribbon and french gimp braid.
My solution ended up being bias tape, great width, folded edges, no shine (at least from the ones I chose) and a wide variety of colors.
The poofy sleeves were made from altering the sleeve pattern to a poofy pattern, I found this tutorial here.
My sleeves needed stripes and a pink frilly edge.
Sewn to a hoop and gathered to fit my arm in one end.
Testing the shape by pinning the sleeve to my bodice.
The pink frills on the sleeves are polka dotted in the ref photo, and I ended up using rhinestones to get a more interesting texture. These are hot fix stones, which means that there's embedded glue into them which activates when heated. And instead of buying a "hot fix want" I use my soldering iron to heat them up. (I still need some practice, ended up with a few burns on my fabric :S
I also need a collar with same blue stripes (only going in two directions)
I made two of these and sewed them onto the neckline of the bodice. Then they were under stitched to lay better. A hook was sewn into the nape by hand.
Last thing I added was the buttons in front. These are hand painted wooden buttons. The color is a little off in this photo due to the light.
Buttons are sewed on with pink satin ribbon
The over skirt and apron
I found the perfect pattern for the tartan over skirt. This was sewn as a circle skirt. More info on how to sew a circle skirt here.
And I found this perfect fabric
The apron was sewn from two pieces of white canvas with iron in interfacing. lace and white bias tape was sewn to the edges.
Then the entire piece was dyed using tea :D And the pockets were sewn from the same fabric as the skirt and bow. The symbols are made from foam to get a crisp edge.
The entire apron is sewed onto the pink waistband. The waist band has a zipper in the back and is then attached to the tartan skirt.
A test on laying on the floor
And one where my sister is modelling it for me.
The bow and hollow yves
To ensure I would always have the perfect bow I made it as a separate piece together with the dolls head (Hollow Yves). The doll mask was made by molding paper clay and then using this as a mold for worbla. I used black worbla this time for get the surface as smooth as possible.
Then with acrylic paint I painted the detailes.
The underskirt and crinoline
The pink underskirt was also sewn as a circle skirt. I then sewed on a folded strip of the same fabric in folds along the edge.
To prevent the bodice to slip up I sewed the underskrit to it.
To get the big volume for the skirt I used a petti coat and a crinoline. I had a huge crinoline from my Morrigan dress, but it was floor lenght. So to save some money I sewed in ribbons on the inside of the crioline to I could bind it up to be knee lenght when I need to.
I actually had a pair of old stockings with the right colored stripes.
So I just transformed these into gloves by pinning down finger tubes.
And lastly I added the pink frills.
The pink frills of the gloves also needed polka dots, bring on the hot fix rhinestones to match the sleeves. ^_^
Having access to a lasercutter makes thing much easier. The omega for the necklace was cut out of MDF and sanded down, then primed and painted.
I will make a makeup video tutorial later, because I ended up being really happy with how this makeup turned out :D
Now we just wait for amazing photos from the photoshoots <3